Prepping for a bikini show can be stressful and the last thing you need before a show is more stress. So I’ve provided a go to check list for bikini competitors.
Please add to the comments below if you have any other amazing tips.
- Bikini X 2 take a spare one just in case
- Bikini bite: To keep your bikini in plan. Dont stress over this one, usually backstage someone else will have it. Professional tan providers also can provide it. Alternatively you can purchase your own roll on and this can last a couple of years.
- Make yourself aware of the rules. My federation (PCA) allows 2 bracelets, one wedding band and one pair of ear rings.
- Usually I go with a professional training service (Nicola A1 Tanning deffo recommend if your in the UK). However if you choose to do your own, then you would require, the tan solution, a roller, a mit and large bags (to cover the area which you are going to stand in- it could get messy) Major requirement- incredible bravery.
- Heels for stage- Some times I read people take 2 pair, in case one heel breaks. I like to take risks so I only take the one pair.
- Flip flops (for after the tan and to hang in on show day- no socks!)
- Hair extensions, Hair spray, Back comb, Hair Brush, Straighteners, curlers, Heat defence spray, Oil (for the frizzies- I use Mythic Oil) Hair band (to pull hair back when applying makeup)
- Shampoo, conditioner, bobby pins
- False nails (for me personally I don’t like acrylics, therefore I paint my nails and then stick on pre painted false nails). Painting your nails prior will protect the nail bed from the glue.
- If your not having your makeup professionally done on the day I would recommend you go to a store and buy some foundation at least 2 shades darker than your skin colour. Primer, eye shadow, blusher, bronzer, lipstick, mascara. False eyelashes & glue. And anything additional which you would like.
- Take your own as there may be little mirror space backstage. Choose a one which stands on its own on a table.
- Sewing pin/ thread, scissors (to trim any excess on bikini)
FOOD / DRINK
- Alcohol (wine or whiskey) for the night before and backstage. Shots anyone?
- Meal prep- for the day before the show, the morning of the show and goodies for afterwards.
- Any supplements
- Tick tock, its show day!!! Dont miss it by sleeping in. Seriously though, who would sleep in? I barely get 40 winks the night before!
- Cash to pay photographer (if you haven’t already pre-paid)
- To buy goodies at the venue
- Break down your outfits according to whats happening. I usually pack a tan outfit- something loose and dark. Then an outfit for registration and hanging around until its time to put my bikini on. I pack an outfit post show too something that looks nice, but is fairly loose and comfortable. My choice is a maxi skirt with a crop top and sandals.
- I have a dark rope which I wear when I have my bikini on backstage and i’m waiting to go on.
- Pack undies, a bra and some loose pjarmas
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouth wash
WEIGHTS / RESISTANCE BAND
- To pump up before the show
- So if you live in England this should really be at the top of the list! Think tan and think water! No, No!
- To wrap yourself in on the night after your tan (if your staying in a hotel, to prevent your tan from staining every where)
- To wrap over toilet seats (the tan will easily stain and you don’t want a bill for it!)
- Phone, camera, headphones and charger – now youve worked so hard to get to the stage, this is your time to capture it, take some shots backstage with people who you meet. However, do not be glued to your phone and embrace the experience in the present moment!
- You can also find somewhere to chill with your music for pre show nerves if this helps. Put together an awesome uplifting playlist.
- I would recommend keeping everything in a suitcase with wheels. Rather than a large bag which you hold (as the tan can easily get wiped and look a mess if your not super careful)
- Show days can be long, you want to be able to sit somewhere comfortably- you can even take this a step further and bring a pillow and a blanket! Comfort baby.
Now its time to set off! Goodluck… Its time to shine!!!
Pearl (Leeds Personal Trainer)